Monday, November 13, 2006

A Rescuing Hug

This is a small paragraph taken from one of my favorite books: "I heard a story about a set of twins who were just a few days old. One of them had been born with a serious heart condition and wasn't expected to live. A few days went by and one baby's health continued to deteriorate; she was close to death. A hospital nurse asked if she could go against hospital policy and put the babies in the same incubator together, rather than in individual incubators. It was a big ordeal, but finally one doctor consented to allow the twins to be placed side by side in the same incubator, just as they had been in the mother's womb. Somehow, the healthy baby managed to reach over and put his arm around his little sister. Before long, and for no apparent reason, her heart began to stabalize and heal. Her blood pressure came up to normal. Her temperature soon followed suit. Little by little she got better, and today they are both perfectly healthy childeren. A newspaper caught wind of the story and photographed the twins while still in the incubator, embraced in a hug. They ran the photo with the caption 'The Rescuing Hug.' Friends, sombody needs your hug today. Sombody needs your love. Somebody needs your touch. You may not realize it, but there is healing in your hands. There is healing in your voice. God wants to use you to bring hope, healing, love and victory to people where ever you go. If you will dare to take your troubles, get your mind off your own needs and, instead, seek tobe a blessing to other people, God will do more for you than you can even ask or think." 'Your Best Life Now,' by Joel Osteen Chapt 24, pg 224.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Jack, I love your blog. You are right about how special it is to be able to hug someone. Most of the time you even get one back. Just like doing God's "work". When we do what he asks us to do we are often just as blessed as the one we are doing the work for. it is a win-win situation.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brother Jack, I read this blog and it is so true. Thanks for the brotherly hug you gave me tonight after our upper room meeting. I am blessed because I know you.

thanks, your friend because of Jesus, Bobby G

Lori said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Jack!! I am so blessed to know you and Carla. You guys are a few of my answered paryers.

The Upper Room said...

What a wonderful illustration...I have heard it before, but as I was reading it this time, I realized how this is also an illustration of Christian Brothers and Sisters. Apart we are weakened, but together we are able to strengthen each other and lift the other when they fall.

"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:

If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!"
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Thank you for strengthening me and being my accountability partner.